lim jia sheng,

.Digital Photo & Imaging


part[1]: Physical Collage


      1. Prepare elements to be used in the physical collage.
      2. Arrange said elements into a composition.


Before creating the final collage, there had to be a few steps along the ways. A few pre-compositions were arranged, and among them I picked three that I felt carried the most impact & least imbalance.

Figure 1.1.1, Pre-composition arrangements, 5/4/2021


      • 5/4/2021
        • Mr. Fauzi noted that my draft arrangements lacked white-space/margins around the main elements. I thus gave more space to the 3 chosen pre-arrangements.
        • Mr. Fauzi gave the go ahead on arrangement 2 (Figure 1.1.3) for final submission.


With the greenlight, I went ahead and locked everything down.

Figure 1.1.2, Final physical collage, 5/4/2021

Figure 1.1.3, Alignments & composition of the final physical collage, 5/4/2021

part[2]: Digital Collage


    1. Create a digital collage using the elements provided.


In week 3's practical session, our hands were held as we were instructed to use only the cutting techniques taught in the session. Meaning, no blend modes, no transparencies, no fancy filters... yet.



Figure 2.1.1, Draft arrangements, 12/4/2021

After constructing what you see up there, I found a few things. The main philosophy for this piece had to be clever transformations, as its point was to create a strong foundation, undistracted by sprinkles. I used the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Ratio to align items, as well as the theory of visual weights & hierarchy to balance out said items. For a meaning then, the piece describes a modern dystopia, with grim & surreal imagery.


      • 13/4/2021
        • Mr. Fauzi noted the 2nd draft (Figure 2.1.2) had good uses of the pen tool, and chose that as the one to proceed into the next step.

Then, in week 4, we were released from our shackles and instructed to go wild, even giving the go ahead to use external collage elements. I sorta had to hit my head on walls to figure out where to go, with developments that struggled to capture what I had wanted to final product to be at. Eventually though, I did manage to take the 2nd draft and transform it into something I was reasonably satisfied with.


Figure 2.1.2, Draft arrangement 2 with Adjustment Layers & Filters, 19/4/2021


Continuing from the built foundation, the main changes here was the pivot to a more post-modern instead of modern setting. This meant bringing up sharper edges, darker midtones, more saturated colours, & an obnoxious blue tint. Another large change is the scale of the elements, as I thought the original piece was already in a very compressed state, thus adding more stuff & effects would make it so that it was too “crowded” visually.



Through this project, I've learnt a lot. The main experiences that I got was to play around with the macro scale of things. I feel like before this, too often than not I focus on minute details, while the composition suffers. The forceful installation of limitations in the form of restricted assets, as well as restricted tooling, definitely forced the learning of the discipline of compositing. Although it was not pleasant in the beginning, as it really became a challenge to wack things around, I feel like as I went through the project, findings of new knowledge like whitespace importance, colour merging, as well as hierarchical movement, just came naturally. At the end of the day, I'm confident now that I'll be able to apply what was taught into my future pieces.